The top ten stupid laws in England as listed by the law society:
- It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament
- It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen’s image upside-down
- It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store
- Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned
- If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter
- In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman’s helmet
- The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen
- It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing
- It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour
- It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow
I’ve only broken one of those. See here for the list of top ten most stupid international laws.
Lawyers Politicians really have too much time on their hands.